Monday, February 7, 2011

Week 2



During our February 1st class, we discussed Encomium of Helen. Our discussion made me think quite differently verses the reading. I have to admit that after reading Encomium of Helen, I was quite convinced that Helen was not to blame for her actions but after our class discussion, my mind quickly changed. Helen should be blamed for her actions and may I say is absolutely insane and absurd for doing what she did. Because of her a 10 year war was caused and people were killed and yet I don’t know why I was sp persuaded from the reading. The war was so intense and tragic that I can’t believe it was all due to one woman’s stupidity. Gorgais presents such an argument that I couldn’t decide if the persuader or the person being persuaded was right. Now I have learned that, you should never be persuaded. Always look at the facts. Think critically and analyze before you make a decision.

In class we also discussed the Allegory of the Cave. After watching the video clip and discussing it in class, I began to think of the way the prisoners thought. They were trapped and were only allowed to see what the outsiders wanted them to see. They did not have an imagination because they knew nothing of it. Therefore what they saw was just a lie and what the only human released saw life outside the cave to be real. The prisoners had never seen life therefore thought what they saw was true and real. This made me think differently and critically. Isn’t everything in life seen differently through each person’s eyes? I know I may see something as beautiful but someone might think it’s ugly. Is looking in the mirror a true image of you or is it false?

No comments:

Post a Comment